I am a happy person. It is just who I am. God made me happy. That, in my humble opinion, is a good thing. I try to look on the bright side of things. Glass half full. Walking on the sunny side of the street. Living the dream.
Several years ago I found a book written by Neil Pasricha called The Book of Awesome. It was amazing. I bought multiple copies. I gave it to family and friends for birthdays and special occasions. I started my own list.
We all go through bumps in the road. Sometimes those bumps are huge boulders and at times they are tiny little cracks that our big toes get stubbed on. Sometimes the path is snow covered (all of my Midwest friends can readily identify with that one) and sometimes the path is totally clear. Some days the wind is calm and other days the wind whips so wildly that it quickly goes from a good hair day to a bad hair day.
Through it all I have discovered that the positive attitude is more easily maintained if I simply keep track of the things that I love. Those unexpected discoveries that bring a smile to my face. The unplanned. The smallest detail that I could have overlooked. The extraordinary in the ordinary.
Today I want to share a few of those “happies” with you. I have a huge ongoing list (at the top of the page just click on Happy Things) but for now–let me share a few of my favorites.
- Phone calls from our sons with cooking questions or the frequent “If I were a mop and I was in Target where would I be?” type questions
- Fresh sheets on the bed
- Returning home to my own bed after a long trip
- Bradford Pear and Crepe Myrtle trees in full bloom
- Luggage arriving with me at my destination
- 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby
- Singing at the top of my lungs on a long car ride
- a clean desk and office
- Kicking off the snow boogers from my car (those icy gross clumps of snow by the wheels)
- The smell of rising cinnamon rolls
- A purring cat or two curled up on my lap
- The great feeling I get when I turn the page on the calendar to the new month
- The sound of my husband playing the Clavinova from the other room
- Meeting an “imaginary” friend in real life
- The smell of a new book
- Search results for how folks find my blog
- Kleenex with lotion
- The first cup of coffee in the morning
- Online banking complete with mobile deposits
- Freshly filled bird feeders with birds flocking to eat what I left them
- “Chrisisms” –witty sayings by my husband
- Binge watching television shows
- Smiley faces
- When I make it to the other side of a bridge
- A good haircut
- Finding the perfect teapot for my collection on a vacation
- Grits made perfectly
- Rolling the windows down when we get close to Lakeside to smell Lake Erie
- Hiding bunnies at my mom’s house for her to discover later
- Making a game of getting the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube
Today I will find something else to add to my list of “happies” and add it. There is always something.
What is one thing that you would add to a list of things that make you happy? I would love for you to share that with me in the comments!!