I am a little late in posting today but I am finally getting to the exciting news about Comments for a Cause. For the past 2 1/2 years I have featured a different cause each month on It’s Just Life and for every comment made during that month on any blog post I have donated 50 cents to that featured cause. My husband and I are thrilled with the response that this has elicited and each month the perfect cause seems to appear. In September I chose Samaritan’s Purse—specifically their work in the Sudan establishing wells for clean water in honor of a dear friend who is fighting ovarian cancer. You read my post here that adds more details about this great cause. This is a cause that is near and dear to Betty’s heart and it seemed only appropriate to honor her with a donation to this great organization. I am thrilled to announce that I will be making a donation of $250 to Samaritan’s Purse for their Sudan water project! Thanks to all who have commented this month. I picked up a few readers/commenters and I am so very grateful to each and every one of you!
Drum roll ….please!!!! You can tell by my “cover picture” above that this month will be devoted to breast cancer awareness, research and education. I have several friends who are survivors and I am thrilled that October is the official “Pink” month. This year my Comments for a Cause for October will go to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation for their efforts in research and education. A whopping 91% of their donations go directly to research and awareness and when navigating the number of Breast Cancer related sites this has to be the one that sticks out as one of the best with an A+ rating. Another site which is a great resource in determining where to donate is on the Takepart website and you can access it by cllcking here. There are so many great organizations available but it is a good idea to check them out via Charity Navigator to see if what they do is what you want to contribute to.
There are a plethora of companies and organizations that contribute to Breast Cancer Awareness during the month of October with different specials and incentives. I would love to keep an updated list here of any that you know of that do specials during the month to help support this cause. If you know of one that I have not listed please leave a link in the comments so we can all support them.
Two that are my personal favorites include efforts made by two friends. First off—Rachael Kosko of The Knotty Nanny will be donating 100% of all profits of hats ordered during the month to BCRF (great minds think alike!) . Rachael does a FABULOUS job and you can cruise her Facebook page–just look under photos for what she has to offer by clicking here. She has an order form on her Facebook page as well by clicking Rachael is so gifted and can make just about anything you come up with. If you don’t see something you like or if you have a pattern you would like her to do–just ask!!! You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell her I sent you!!! She is absolutely one of the most talented people I know when it comes to yarn art! Order your hat now—remember all hats ordered during October will help fund research for breast cancer.
The other friend who helps promote breast cancer awareness this month is Rebecca Miracle who is a Longaberger consultant. If you remember I made a visit to Longaberger Mecca this past summer so you know that I love their products! There is always a Basket of Hope and other specials during the month of October which pay tribute to the theme of the month—pink!
There are so many great items available but the pink themed ones are especially important this month. Go show Becky some love and make sure if you make a purchase that you put her name in as the consultant if this link does not work right for some reason. Rebecca Miracle–not too difficult to remember!
Other places that do various things to support Breast Cancer Awareness this month include:
- Panera Bread offers a Ribbon Bagel—proceeds of sales go to area Breast Cancer Funds (they don’t have it on their main site yet but they always do it!)
- Delta Airlines does many things to promote Breast Cancer Awareness including having a pink plane (click here to read about it) Delta is my preferred airline and I always look forward to flying in October because the employees all sport pink in their uniforms and offer customers the chance to make a difference in different opportunities to give. If you have to fly check them out this month!
- Estee Lauder offers a special line of products that feature a pink theme and helps to further breast cancer research and awareness. Thanks to Gen Fabber, Barbara Younger for this link!
- Avon also offers products, including a cute necklace, in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.
- Ulta offers a line of “pink” products as well and you can access these by clicking on this link.
- 3M–from pink sticky notes to self exam reminders 3M has a lot to offer.
- Ralph Lauren has Pink Pony shirts—25% of purchase price goes to breast cancer initiatives. (thanks to Gen Fabber Shelley Zureck for these last 3)
- KIND Snacks has a great offer going on–for every BFFLBag sold (Best Friends for Life) KIND will donate $5 to Friends Fighting Breast Cancer. These are great little goodie bags that contain a specially-designed axillapilla® comfort pillow; wound and drain care supplies; mybody® skin care gift pack; Bio-Oil® moisturizing scar treatment; toiletries, organizing tools and instructions; a box of 12 KIND bars; and more. What a great gift to someone going through a challenging diagnosis! Thanks to Gen Fabber Kim Byars Croisant for this one—I never would have known about it!
Please include your links to other places that go above and beyond this month in the fight against breast cancer. I would love to see them all and share them. Let’s fill the page and while we are at it—-make some comments to help fund BCRF!!! Thanks so much!