I have had the extreme pleasure to meet a lot of great folks in the past year or so in Iowa. It is funny that it has taken this long for me to find some really great people but what it all boils down to is social media and my blogger friend Sara from It’s All in An Iowa Mom’s Day and Travel with Sara. Sara wanted to get people in our area talking and connecting through various social media platforms and she has now built her own business (Social Connections, LLC) around what she has learned. She is, in a word, enthusiastic. Thanks, Sara!
One of the folks that I have met through Sara is new author Rachel Smith. Rachel moved to Clear Lake last year and discovered a new passion for writing. I have had the privilege to spend a bit of time with Rachel and she is fun, witty, bright and enthusiastic. I read her first book “Home” and was blown away by how good it was. Sometimes first novels are so-so but not so for Rachel. I loved the story line and the one thing that I really appreciated was how careful she was in making sure that the finished product was top notch.
I wanted to do a little interview with Rachel and she graciously agreed. So please —meet Rachel!
1. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up? I had no clue what I wanted to be growing up. I do remember that I changed my mind each year. Thus, it took me 5 years to get through college because I still couldn’t decide 🙂
2. Who has had the biggest influence on your writing career? Kristen Ashley. I found her books about a year ago and she really sparked my love for romance novels. And I think she was a lot like me when she started out. I read an interview she gave where she said she felt like all her characters were her imaginary friends that lived inside her head and she just had to get their story written down. I feel the same way about my characters. They’ve lived inside my head for a few years and I finally was in the position in life that I could get their story out.
3. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 things with you what would those be? Oh gosh. My Nook, My laptop, and an internet connection. It is impossible for me to live without those three things. Who needs food and water as long as you have books?
4. Tell us a little bit about your day to day life—family, job, etc. LOL!! I lead such a glamorous one, you know. Let’s see. For the past year my days are very similar, although it depends if the kiddos are home with me all day or not. Most of the time, they are part of the time. So I get up, get breakfast, dress children, attempt to at least get my contacts in and brush my teeth. Then it’s off to school/daycare. After I come home I get a cup of coffee and sit down to work. I work part time from home, so it usually takes me all morning to get caught up there every day. Then I eat lunch and often attempt to write or at least edit/revise a little in the afternoon. I workout (most days) and then go get kiddos which equals pure pandemonium until 8:30pm when they’re both in bed. At that point, I sit down in my favorite chair with my laptop and write. Whatever time it is when I start, I also give myself an end time no matter where I’m at. That way I can go to bed and read some of my favorite Indie Authors before I go to sleep. Only to wake up and do it all over again 🙂
5. Are you a romantic? Why or why not? I am in my head. In real life, not so much!!!
6. More books coming in the Glenview Series? How many and when ? We are all anxious! There will be two more books in the series. I’m currently working on “Broken Home” which is David’s story. The 3rd one is still a work in progress. I”ve had another story brewing in my head that I might have to get out before I get to the 3rd one.
7. If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring writer what would it be? Sit down and write. No matter what comes out, just keep writing. I can’t tell you how awful “home” was after the first draft. Most of it didn’t even make sense!! So I kept at it for months and months (and months and months) to get it just right. So my advice it to just keep at it.
8. Anything else you want my readers to know? I have no sense of smell. People seem to be fascinated by that little fact!!
Don’t you just love her? I know I do! Now for the fun part—-I will be giving away a signed copy of “Home” and you have a chance to win. Just leave a comment on this post telling me what book you are reading right now and you will be entered in the giveaway. Easy! I will pick a random winner and will announce the winner here on the blog on June 27th. That gives you a week or so to get your comments in. Feel free to share with your friends. Tell the world. The bonus is that each comment will also go to benefit NIVC as my Comments for a Cause this month.
If you are interesting in getting your own copy (in case you don’t win the giveaway) you can get either an e reader copy or a paperback by going to Amazon—this is the direct link here.
(The book is a romance and has some language and sexual content.)