I have been thinking a bit about where life has taken me lately and it struck me that the front of my planner is absolutely the perfect motto for me at the moment–Bloom Where You Are Planted.
I have been spending some time with family the past week and am so happy that my life is at the point where I can pick up and go when the call comes that someone needs just a little bit of extra help. Chris has always been very supportive of me in both my work life and my non-work life and I am very aware that that is not always the case with spouses.
Not working a conventional job right now allows me the opportunity to be flexible. To go where I am needed. To help out when situations that arise. It allowed me to take advantage of some fabulous blogging opportunities that I was able to take you all along with me on when I was in Iowa. It will allow me to share more life experiences with you along the way in the days ahead as well.
Bloom where you are planted takes on a new meaning for someone who moves around. The challenges of finding that niche and finding things to do are real but definitely do-able. Here are a few ideas of how I have grown into the Bloom Where You Are Planted lifestyle.
- If you have moved get the house settled as quickly as possible so you can explore your new community and area. I find that every time we have moved the most work gets done in the first 5 days after the truck of household goods arrives. After that I lose motivation so I hit it hard the first few days and then don’t worry too much about the boxes in the garage.
- Savor each experience. Even if it is just making a ritual out of drinking your morning tea make it something that is savored by letting yourself enjoy every aspect of the experience.
- Find something you are passionate about and get plugged into volunteering using your passion to guide you.
- Get up every day with the idea that you are going to make a difference in some small way today. My mantra for the past couple of years has been Be the Ripple. It may sound silly but all it takes is one small action from you to start a huge ripple of kindness. Kindness = happiness. No one can lose when there is kindness around.
- Spend time with those you love and who love you. There is no better feeling that knowing that you are loved. It can change your entire outlook.
- Try to have a positive attitude. Yes, there are a lot of icky things in the world. Things that you and I can not change but if we focus on the positive and on the things that we CAN do something about it makes everything seem much better.
- Get outside. There is something about being out in nature that embodies the Bloom Where You Are Planted lifestyle. Just do it. No excuses. Even if it is for only 10 minutes. Take a break from whatever you are doing and enjoy being out in the world.
- Probably the most important thing about living this life of Bloom Where You Are Planted is to just chill out and go with the flow. Life happens. Sometimes we just have to adjust and go with the flow even if it is unexpected. It is not always easy but it is less stressful when life throws speed bumps in the way and you can’t do anything to change it. Relax any way you can –pull out that adult coloring book, get a massage, do your nails or just take a deep breath to get you through it. You can do it.
Any things you could add? The list is always evolving and growing so I would love to hear your suggestions in the comments. Remember all comments this month go to support Cupid’s Undie Run through Comments for A Cause.