Isn’t the above picture just the picture of health? Not really. Tuesday night a group of North Iowa Bloggers (and yes—these ladies deserve a capital B) got together at my home for a bit of fun and taste testing. The new flavored Lay’s came out recently and after a quick Facebook conversation I decided to host a tasting party for all who could attend. Of course while I was at it I picked up what other summer items I could find but they did not get top billing like the Lay’s chips. Trust me.
Our scientific study was conducted prior to eating the rest of the yumminess that we had to share with one another. Of course I neglected to document the spread but trust me—it was vast and fabulous. We tasted everything from my beloved and sorely missed ham balls (thanks, Val) to Peanut Butter Cup Oreos and Guiltless Brownies (thanks, Amy) to Zucchini Peach Roll Ups (thanks, Jeni) to yummy cocktail franks (thanks, Katy) to various delightful gluten free treats (thanks, Laura and Donna). Add to those my contributions of a couple of skewered treats and fruit salad and we feasted. Thank goodness there were others who took great snappies of our feast.
But on to the tasting–the whole reason we were together on Tuesday night was to taste and review the 4 new flavors of Lay’s Chips. So without further ado—here we go. Comments for each flavor follow the picture.
- Don’t even like the smell.
- Better than expected!
- Not as bad as I thought!
- I hated these. Tasted like bad coffee creamer.
- Not as overwhelmingly sweet as I thought they would be. Kind of a dessert chip!!!!!
- Tastes like Bath and Body Works would taste if you could taste it!
- Gross—tastes like perfume
- Fruit and chips don’t mix!
- Too sweet and I agree—did taste like Bath and Body Works.
- Icky flavor.
- I was disappointed. I love mango salsa and thought this would be the perfect combo but it definitely fell short in my book.
- My fave of all the submissions
- Great but how could bacon be bad?
- Needs wavy texture! Love bacon though!
- These were okay—tasted like bacon.
- I expected more—they seemed ordinary and I wanted more bacony goodness. We do live in Iowa, after all!
- These placed second place with 2 votes.
- I like wasabi but the addition of ginger ruined it for me.
- My favorite by far! I <3 the ginger.
- Love it.
- My favorite—would buy these!
- I might try wasabi now!
- Best of the 4—love the kettle cooked crunch with a hint of ginger to offset the wasabi.
- I liked the refreshing and different taste.
- First place winner with 5 votes!!!!!!
But what happened after the chip tasting? A LOT of fun! We loaded our plates and sat on the deck on a perfectly wonderful Iowa night and spent a few hours getting to know each other better. Sara, who initially got this group started, was somewhere in a hot tub in Colorado so we made sure she was a part of the festivities all night long as #FlatSara moved from inside to outside, had a place at the table and posed for pictures with all of us.
And of course—there was a lot of social media interaction going on because after all—that IS what we do.
It is wonderful to find fellow bloggers and to have the chance to share with each other. Each of us have totally different blogs, do totally different posts but have so much in common. There are a few others who could not make it to this soiree but I am pretty sure there will be more in the future. In the meantime—give each of these ladies a visit. They all have great things going on on each of their blogs and a simple click on the titles below will bring up their blog in a separate window. Click on over and tell them Beth Ann sent you.
Jeni blogs at Jeni Eats
Donna blogs at DonnaHup.com
Val blogs at Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Laura blogs at All Things Travel
Katy blogs at Learning As I Go Along
Amy blogs at Modern Rural Living
Joy (who did not make it to this event) blogs at Living Life Joyfully
Debbie (who also could not make it to the event) blogs at Debbie’s Midwestern Kitchen