Our extended time in Florida has come at a good time with all of the cold weather that seems to be invading all areas of the United States. It is plenty cold here, though, and our beach time has been limited a little bit but still enjoyable. More of a walking the beach trip this week than lounging on the beach type of trip.
While I have been here there have been a few interesting things and observations that I feel led to pass on to my devoted readers.
- There are more old people driving here than in Brevard, NC. Many more.
- I can unintentionally get old men in trouble. An older gentleman started talking to me in the grocery store and he got the stink eye and a tongue lashing from his wife for it. Yikes.
- When you stay in huge condo towers they all kind of start looking alike. One night a family knocked on our door thinking that the condo we were in (203) was where they were renting. Nope. We are in Tower 4. They were in Tower 3. So back they went down the elevator and outside with their hugely overloaded luggage cart.
- Restaurants are super busy here during Christmas and post New Year’s. Expect to wait if you go to some of the more popular touristy places. We found a couple off the beaten path places that were excellent and easily accessible. Our favorite for a fabulous dinner meal was Cafe de Marco and for breakfast/lunch was Petit Soleil.
- I can NOT leave lending libraries alone. The one in the condo building was a massive mess so I took it upon myself to straighten it up a bit. Hopefully the Reading Steward does not mind. I found a book in German and one in French along with about 5 dictionaries so if you are need of those I can point you in the right direction.
- Post hurricane stays are VERY noisy. This has not been a quiet place at all. There are workmen everywhere and saws, drills, jackhammers, you name it going all day long. Note to self : avoid hurricane affected areas if a quiet stay is required.
- Sunsets and sunrises are better viewed over a body of water.