I have lots of different things to post today so stick with me!!! It will be worth it–-I PROMISE! First of all it is Wordless Wednesday over at Never Growing Old so I will start out with my picture for the day!
Now on to other exciting things!!! Since I found the idea through Karen and Gerard to donate for each comment made on my blog to a charity that I truly believe in—I thought it was a fabulous idea and thanks to them I have gotten started. First month went to the National Parkinsons Foundation and this month I chose UMCOR to help with the spring storms and relief that they offer to the victims. I love UMCOR—it is one organization that gives 100% of your donation to the specific cause and as a life long United Methodist it is near and dear to my heart. I was so happy last month to report that I had 153 comments and this month I had 182 comments!!! Yipppe! Thank you to all who commented. I will be sending $91 off to UMCOR as a result of YOUR comments.
In June I will donate again to another cause that I feel is so worthy. Meals on Wheels. If any of you have ever been a part of this organization you know what great work they do. Right now they are being hard hit by the increasing gas prices.
Meals On Wheels: The Impact of the Gas Crisis (from the MOWAA website)
According to a national survey conducted by Meals On Wheels Association of America (MOWAA), a number of Meals On Wheels programs are in a crisis situation:
- Nearly 80 % of the struggling Meals On Wheels programs across the country have lost volunteers, 67% have had to reduce the number of meals they serve per week and 30% have started a waiting list. 69% reported that they believe their program will have to cut back on meal service if the price of gas exceeds anywhere in the range of $4.50 to $5.00.
- Currently, the total daily cost of gas used by all Meals On Wheels programs nationally exceeds $247,000.
- Each day across the United States Meals On Wheels programs and their volunteers drive 1.25 million miles to bring meals to seniors who need them.
- Every one cent increase in the price of gas equals an additional $250,000 a year that is spent on delivering meals to homebound seniors.
- Meals On Wheels programs nationwide deliver roughly one million meals every day.
I have had the opportunity to be a part of Meals on Wheels in various ways over the years and have always felt that it is a worthy organization that not only provides hot meals but contact with folks who might otherwise be forgotten. Another win-win!!! So join me, comment freely all month and let’s see what we can do!
Finally—a giveaway on the blog!!! I know! I know!!! I am cramming so much into today!!! But I have wanted to do this for awhile. Pretty simple. When my sister, Paula, was here we took a trip to Mall of America in Minneapolis. Top of the list was to visit Archiver’s where we loaded up and I do mean loaded up on supplies for our card making addictions. I was not on the ball enough to think to get a gift card there and you can not purchase them online so the give away will be for a Hobby Lobby $25 gift card.. If you are not familiar with them they have EVERYTHING for a crafter along with furniture, framing, fabric,home decor, etc. A great place to shop and you are certain to find something to please you!!! To win this give away is pretty simple. Check out the picture below of my purchases at Archiver’s and tell me how much you think I spent on it!!! The person who gets closest to the amount spent wins!!! I may have to exclude Paula from this since she was with me and knows!!! So leave your comment below and tell me how much you think I spent on all those goodies and on June 15th I will announce the winner. There may even be some extra goodies tucked in with that gift card to Hobby Lobby!!! So check out the picture and comment below!!! If you click on the photo it will enlarge to show you more details so you can make a more educated guess!!! Can’t wait to hear your guesses!!!