2019 is almost here. Every year I try to find three focus words to guide me throughout the new year. I have had quite a few over the years and have really tried hard to incorporate them into my daily life.
Last year my focus words included: Nurture, Intentional and Breathe. I honestly think I did pretty well at embracing these three words all year and am happy that 2018 is drawing to a close. It was a tough year for many people that I love and I am hoping and praying that 2019 is a little bit easier.
I have been thinking about my focus words for awhile and have finally decided on three that I think will be good ones for me during the coming year.
Forgive a verb that means: (all definitions from Dictionary.com)
- to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
- to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
- to grant pardon to (a person).
Oh forgiveness is so difficult for me at times. If someone has hurt someone I love I struggle with it and struggle some more. I also find it very difficult to forgive myself so this year I plan to work on forgiving and forgetting, moving on and allowing myself some grace when it comes to forgiving myself as well.
Release a verb that means:
- to free from confinement, bondage, obligation, pain, etc.; let go: to release a prisoner; to release someone from a debt.
- to free from anything that restrains, fastens, etc.:to release a catapult.
- to allow to be known, issued, done, or exhibited:
Release goes right along with forgiveness but encompasses so much more. I have to learn to release myself from obligations and things that hold me back at times. I also want to focus on releasing myself from things that really limit me and my view of things including my capabilities.
Hope a noun that means:
- the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best:to give up hope.
- a particular instance of this feeling:the hope of winning.
- grounds for this feeling in a particular instance:
I have used hope as a focus word before but I am feeling that I need to include it for 2019. Hope – we all need hope that things will turn out well, that life will continue to go in a forward direction and that our loved ones will experience the best in life. Hope keeps our hearts full and keeps us going forward towards positive things. What is a world without hope? I can’t imagine.
I also like to choose a song and this one just keeps sticking in my head lately so I guess this is going to be it. Enjoy.
Please come back tomorrow as I kick off the New Year with a new Comments for a Cause. You have been such faithful readers this year and Chris and I have been so blessed to be able to contribute to some wonderful charities this year. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your continued support.
Do you have a focus word that you choose for the year? I would love to read what yours is so let me know in the comments.