One of my favorite Dr. Seuss books is entitled “If I Ran the Zoo”. In the book the story goes something like this. Young Gerald McGrew visits a zoo and while he is there he finds that the animals that are living there are just not quite exotic enough. He thinks that “if he ran the zoo” he would do it a bit differently and have animals that were indeed rare even if they were imaginary. As the book goes on, in true Dr. Seuss style, the animals that young McGrew envisions get crazier and crazier with the illustrations depicting creations that only existed in the mind of Dr. Seuss himself. An example ? He would seek out animals such as
the Fizza-ma-Wizza-ma-Dill, “the world’s biggest bird from the island of Gwark, who eats only pine trees, and spits out the bark.
As you can imagine if you have not read the book before the animals get odder and odder, stranger and stranger and the reader gets to wondering what will come next.
Thinking about this children’s book make me think about what it would look like If I Ran the Zoo…..or if I Ran the World. I have always commented when I didn’t like something that “If I Ran the Zoo”….. or World…..
If I ran the world:
- Everyone would wake up with a smile on their face. Maybe our faces would have permanent smiles. Or a tattooed smile somewhere on our foreheads. That might work.
- There would be no such thing as cooked carrots. Anyplace. Ever. They simply would not exist.
- Coffee cups and tea cups would never go empty. They would be endless cups and always with just the perfect amount of sugar and creamer to the drinker’s liking.
- Drivers would be considerate and obey all of the rules of the road.
- Children would always listen to their parents and respect them.
- Physical and mental illness would not exist. We would all have perfect bodies that never needed any maintenance or adjustments.
- There would be no violence of any kind–no shape or form of it would exist.
- There would be no meetings that went on and on with no real purpose or goal —everyone would follow perfect protocol in meetings and make things happen as a result.
- There would be a Hobby Lobby in every town.
- The barter system would be in place for all of our needs. Need your sidewalk shoveled???? Payment in cookies. Need your car fixed? Payment in computer help.
- There would be no animals that would kill you. Or maybe better—those animals would exist but they would not have a predatory bone in their body. We could still enjoy them but they would not be dangerous.
- Computers would always work. Always.
- Everyone would embrace individuality and uniqueness. No one would stare at someone who was different in any way. In general everyone would be loved and accepted.
So there is a starter list of things that would be different if I ran the world. How about you? What would you add if you ran the world???
45 CommentsLeave a comment
No one would be homeless; everyone would know their wonderful worth.
What if our cups of coffee (tea) were always the perfect sipping temperature?
Lovely post. 🙂
OH yea—that too!!!!
If I ran the world, you could meet your best friend for coffee anytime!
Aw…..PERFECT!!! Or sweet tea!
Hmm, I just have to say I prefer cooked carrots to raw. If I ran the world I’d give everyone a job —that they love.
Oh Laura, that is a perfect one!!!!! And I will forgive you for liking cooked carrots……..
That’s it! I’m moving to your zoo!
Come on! I have tons of room!!!
If I ran the world, everyone in a snowy northern climate, like Minnesota and Iowa, would have the entire summer off. Well, I suppose “essential employees” would need to continue working. That might not be too practical, so let’s say every employee gets at least four weeks minimum paid vacation annually.
I like what your world would be like, too! And in our world practicality does not exist—it just is and it all works without any problem so no worries!!!!
If I ran the world I would cure cancer.
Perfect one!!!! I love it!!! I agree. I hate cancer.
Love them all (except I DO like cooked carrots!)…. I would add that every child would have a happy home with two parents…and no kitty (or dog) would be homeless.
Perfect. We are going to have a wonderful world!!!!
No injustice, no corruption.
I wonder if our version of running the world will be what heaven is like?
I am thinking there are a lot of parallels to that thought!!!!
Everyone would own cool teapots 🙂
No one would be unloved or un-cared for.
Everyone would be treated equally and fairly.
Children would be allowed to be children and their joy and innocence would be protected.
Everyone would be well fed and have access to clean water and sanitation.
Everyone would be freely educated.
And above all else everyone would know beyond any shadow of a doubt that they are loved, special, unique, gifted, valued, needed, wanted, treasured and awesome!!!
Great post loved it 🙂
That everyone had a loving family and many good friends that followed the ten commandments.
There would be no bad news to report.
Everyone would feel loved and appreciated.
Travel would be free so you could visit anyone any time.
(i know, I’m a dreamer!)
All kitties would have homes and be loved and respected from the beginning of their lives until the end.
We would be kind to each other.
Fireworks, ATVs, and dirt bikes would not exist.
I like your list Beth Ann, except for the carrots! I love carrots simmered in butter and a bit of sugar.
Perfect additions. Perfect. Thanks! All except for the carrot part. You are one of those carrot pushers. I knew it!
Beth Ann I am a carrot pusher.. 😀 You crack me up!!!
I just call them as I see them, Pix!!!!
No one would wait in long lines.
Funny you mentioned cooked carrots, when Leslie was little she would not eat cooked carrots to save her life!
She is a very smart girl!!! Very smart!!!
I second your idea for bottomless coffee and tea cups. Yes!
Of course I’d add that there would be no more homeless pets. And every animal (domestic or wild) would be treated with the respect they deserve.
Perfect additions to the list! See what a wonderful world it would be if we ran the zoo?????
Haha this is pretty cool:) great ideas!
I would want everyone to be kinder to one another. Great post.
That is a very good addition!
I love Dr. Seuss, especially the If I Ran the Zoo book. I think I would have to add a world without diseases (like diabetes, cancer, AIDS, malaria, etc.)
Amen to that!
No person or being would go hungry in the world.
Perfect addition, Ann!
[…] was putting time limits on God. I was telling Him that in my perfect world (remember If I Ran The Zoo?) things would be so perfect if only this and so happened by such a date and […]
Health in body, mind and soul for all. Violence and illness are non-existent. We all Send Out Love! ♥
I’m thinking your world might be called Heaven & really could never exist on our plane of existence, but it certainly would be nice if even half of these could come true!
Please run for President!! We are getting a Hobby Lobby!
Oh you will love having a Hobby Lobby around! I am in there every week. 🙂
[…] If I Ran the Zoo […]
If I ran the world internet speeds wouldn’t vary. Only fast speeds to listen to blubrry. Podcast fast internet speeds indeed whether for you or me. The internet would bleed fast speeds whether in the city or in the sticks you can listen to in the weeds.