1. Start your day with your favorite beverage. If that beverage is alcoholic you may want to save that for later in the day but a good cup of coffee or tea made just the right way or gotten from your favorite coffee shop is a winner. My current favorite is a dirty chai which is chai tea with a shot or two of espresso. Yum.
2. Take a walk or run outside. Even if the weather is less than perfect (which is about 75% of the time where I currently live) there is something about getting out in the great outdoors that turns my sad into glad.
3. Have a good long cry and pity party. Then toss the kleenex in the trash, declare that it is a new moment in time and move on.
4. Call a trusted friend. Sometimes you just need to hear a friendly voice and reconnect with another human being who understands you.
5. Turn up the music LOUD. This never seems to lose its charm for me—it works, trust me. Even if it is a sad song with sad memories it will allow you to embrace the emotions of the day and move on.
6. Eat ice cream. No more explanation needed here.
7. Read a book. Start in on one that you have been meaning to read forever and just dig in.
8. Look for something that you lost or misplaced. This will definitely redirect your attention.
9. Clean something. Once again –redirected attention tends to make one feel better. The satisfaction of having something clean or cleaned out is a physical activity that actually shows tangible proof of change and effort when completed.
10. Do something nice for someone else. Focus outward instead of inward. Allowing time to wallow in your own funkiness for a bit is fine and understandable but for long lasting satisfaction and the chance to turn a cruddy day into something terrific there is nothing like doing something for someone else. It absolutely works.
Do you have any to add? Feel free to add them in the comments section and remember that all comments this month go towards Retrieving Freedom, Inc. .
28 CommentsLeave a comment
Thank God for all your blessings now and in the future (this includes putting incredible cousins into your life)! ❤️
Great one to add!!!! Hugs!
Whistle. It always cheers me up to whistle. I hope you’re okay, Beth Ann!!
Oh whistle!!! That is a good one. I am not a whistler—just never learned to do it well but if I could I would! I am great! Lots of cleaning out and getting rid of stuff is very cleansing!
I need to start a purge-fest. Next week, hubby is gone a lot, so that may be a great time to dive in.
Wonderful post as always! I’m so glad I got to meet you!
I loved being able to finally meet in person as well! Thanks for stopping by!!!
Focusing on the positive and remembering the words of Romans 8:28.
Absolutely the best verse ever! Thank you!
I love all of these and I want to go do them all (except run because I already did that for the day) right now!! I’m just sleepy on this Monday morning!
I had an early start to the day and now I am ready to call it quits. But so much to do!
This could go in the category of ice cream..but I think I’m going to get myself a donut today. 🙂
Donuts, ice cream—it’s all good!
Really good suggestions. Most of us are kind of like a battery. Every now and than we need to get recharged. Thanks for sharing such great thoughts.
You are right. Everyone needs a recharge now and again.
These are all excellent ideas, Beth Ann. I’m big on having a cup of tea and reading a book. That is a combination that is hard to beat. Happy moving, my friend.
Hugs from Ecuador,
I like your combo as well! Such great ideas!
Excellent advice !!!
I like to clean and have a favorite beverage and visit with friends.
Oh cleaning is a great idea as well!!!!
Look out my fronr window and thank God for another day.
Great post… sometimes there is nothing better than a good long cry!
Great advice! I’ll start with a chai:)
Chai sounds good….I need one.
These are great tips! Ice Cream is always at the top of my list 😉
Ice cream is the perfect mood changer!
All great ideas; I also feel so much better when I can get outside!
There is something about just a change of scenery that makes it better, isn’ t it?
well I was gonna to combine two to them and have a pina colada made with ice cream… but I guess that would be frowned upon! LOL
but a chai tea on my back deck with the warm sunshine is a very good close second. 🙂