Chris and I just got back from a whirlwind trip to the midwest – stops included Minneapolis, Minnesota, Faribault, Minnesota, Mason City, Iowa, Clear Lake, Iowa and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Travel is different these days than it used to be and I learned a few things.
- TSA agents can be surly even if you are kind and nice. It’s a tough time in travel and even though my attitude is always “kill them with kindness” it did not always work on this trip. A nice kind word would have been appreciated instead of grumpiness.
- Drivers are insane everywhere we went. Seriously, we avoided 3 accidents because people ran red lights. Caution, caution, caution is the best advice I can give.
- I found possibly THE best outfit to fly in. An Instagram post, I think, shared an inexpensive cotton jump suit, I bought it in black and LOVE it. It is loose and comfy and perfect for plane travel.
4. Airline food can be good — our breakfast on the flight home was really great. Best overnight oats I have probably had which is saying something.
5. Fingernails can be lost and found in odd places.
6. Iowa still has a lot of wind turbines. They are everywhere.
7. Good friends are important to keep. It is worth the effort to keep those friendships going. I will share more about that in another post but friends were a very important part of this trip.
8. Cabin Coffee is still my favorite.
9. Iowa sunsets are still pretty amazing.
10. Wearing masks on planes, while not required, is still a pretty smart thing to do. Frankly I was surprised that we did not see more people wearing masks at many of the places we went to during our trip but it is a matter of choice now. I am happy to be able to wear one when I feel like I might be exposed to too many people and who knows what germs. The freedom to do that is great and I don’t give a hoot if someone thinks otherwise. I have a grand baby to go see next week and I am not going to risk anything at this point that will prevent me from going to see him.
Stay tuned to the blog for more from our trip — you know you want to know what all we did, right? I promise to share.
9 CommentsLeave a comment
Great observations! So glad you get to see your grand baby!!
Very interesting! We drove to Williamsburg and back last weekend. Loved the beautiful scenery. Highways were crowded at times, but all in all a very pleasant trip (we did have 1 red light experience- weird.) Your romper jumpsuit- how cute. (Easy to get off in the bathroom??) The best thing- is just getting away and seeing new things, and chatting with people in the hot tub! Next up- 3 week drive out west and back in August!
Haven’t flown for a long time so I appreciate the tips!! Have fun with that grandbaby ❤️
Sounds like a great trip and I can’t wiat to hear more about it. Keeping friends over the years is important to me too.
Thanks for making time to stop in Faribault so Randy and I could see you and Chris. That meant a lot to me. Oh, how good it felt to hug you and to reconnect. Love you, dearest friend!
Good tips! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. 🙂 And yay, you get to see that grandbaby soon!
I noticed the same thing with TSA lately. These poor agents are all overworked and probably underpaid and there’s just not enough people… it’s the same everywhere you go.
You & Chris certainly have been busy traveling. Thanks for the tips. We haven’t flown in a while. Looking forward to hearing more.
That was quite a trip! I’m still wearing a mask at the grocery store, I’m usually the only one wearing one.