I have been working through my book 52 Lists for Happiness and one of the lists that is included is to list things that made me happy as a child. It’s a great exercise to make lists and it is even better to remember childhood memories that made me happy.
Here’s the start of my list which I hope will grow over time.
- My teddy bear Wuzzy. Confidante, snuggler and holder of secrets.
- Birthday celebrations made incredibly special by my mom who went all out to make our days memorable.
- Lighting the candles in the church on Christmas Eve and also having communion at home between services with my Daddy at home with our family.
- Practicing singing in the side yard with my sissy “The Hills Are Alive” from The Sound of Music. (Side note- our ring tones for each other on our iPhones is that exact song.)
- Putting on plays and commercials for family and friends.
- Going to meetings with my daddy and sharing a box of Chicken in a Biscuit crackers.
- Vacations and camping trips.
- All of our cats including the most memorable ones Peek, Tigger, Junior, Pumpernickel, Amaryllis, and Johnathan.
- Church potlucks and time with good church folk who loved me.
- Trips to the library in North Fairfield and time with the librarian Mrs. Chandler.
- Spending time alone at my Grandma and Grandpa’s farm in the summer with no other siblings.
- Jello salad with mandarin oranges.
So how about you? What would make your childhood list of things that made you happy? Share one or two in the comments. Only two more days to Comment for a Cause for the Dementia Society of America. Each comment during the month means a 50 cent donation.